Having siding to protect the exterior of your home in can save you a lot of money in the long run. Owing to the sometimes harsh weather conditions in Vancouver, just like many other cities in Canada, siding plays a critical role in every home.
Popular siding in Vancouver
- Fiber-cement siding
- Vinyl siding
- Wood siding
- Aluminum bevel siding
- Cedar siding
- Brick siding
- Composite siding
Importance of siding
- Energy efficiency
Insulated siding creates a protective layer over your walls and the entire exterior of your home, which keeps in warm air during cold days and cool air during the hot days. This ensures energy efficiency and saves you on energy bills.
- Improved home value
New siding adds value to your home and even gives you a better bargain if you are planning for resale.
- Lower maintenance cost
With the right choice of siding material, you’ll not need to worry about maintenance costs. Vinyl siding, for example, only requires occasional cleaning with water and soap. It does not even need repainting
- Extra protection
Siding offers you additional security, as it acts as a barrier against weather elements and other kinds of intruders.
- Improved aesthetics
Siding gives your house a curb-appeal that is so much needed to make it stand out as being beautiful. With the right choice of material, color, and texture, siding can hugely transform the appearance of your home.
When to replace your siding
- When your siding is rotten, decayed or warped; probably because of weather elements or insect attacks
- When your siding reaches its lifespan limit. If there was no rain-screen installed, the siding could be in good condition for up to 20-30 years
- When you want to upgrade your home by giving it a curb-appeal to appear more modern.
Design options for siding
There are different siding design options to choose from in Vancouver. When you choose Nanaimo siding the most popular ones include:
- Siding panel – The look of the siding depends on the installation type. The main types are Open Joint Cladding, Board and Batten, and Easy Trim Reveal.
- Siding plank – The look differs depending on the profile that you choose. Bevel Siding, Tongue and Groove, and Lap Siding (Channel) are some of the profiles you can go for.
- Stucco – This is basically concrete covering, and smooth acrylic stucco is the most common. Dash finish is also popular for stucco siding design.
- Siding Shingles – Shingles have a high installation cost since they come in single pieces and are installed separately. Cedar, fiber-cement, and Vinyl can have Shingle siding design.
Factors to consider in siding selection
This among the very critical considerations, when installing new siding or replace existing ones. Go for a siding material that will last longer, and is weather-resilient, since harsh weather elements are a typical case in Vancouver
Many people prefer low-maintenance siding since it saves on personal time, money, and effort. Vinyl siding, for instance, is trendy because it does not need repainting and only needs cleaning using soap and water occasionally.
- Design and color
Aesthetic value is an essential factor in siding choice. Go for a design and color that harmoniously fits in your environment and is according to your taste. Your siding dictates the overall appearance of your home’s exterior.
When looking for siding, go for what fits within your budget since their values and prices differ considerably. As you work with the budget, however, do not forget about quality. If you take a very cheap material, you’ll end up spending more on regular maintenance and even replacement.
What to look for in the best siding contractor
Certification, license, and whether they are bonded or not – These will help you determine the level of qualification of the contractor.
- Experience level – Ensure your contractor has experience with your specific type of siding
- Insurance status – Valid insurance spare you of liability costs
- Reviews and testimonials – Helps you know what former clients in Vancouver have to say about the contractor’s performance
- Warranty – Shows that the contractor has confidence in the task and gives you a sense of security
- Team – A good team delivers better than a one-person job
- Reliability and flexibility – Your contractor should be available to serve you and fit in your schedule
- Client relations – Proper communication and client-handling is mandatory
- Quotes – Don’t fall in the trap of low-quality service because of low prices, and don’t pay too much either.
Instagram of our friends: